Sunday, January 12, 2014

Introductions

I've had a romance with photography for many years.
Untitled, France, c. 2004

In high school I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to take an analog photography class. I was also lucky enough to have been able to buy myself a Canon A-1 SLR so that I was not limited to borrow the school's cameras.  Although I took photos of many different things - landscapes, architecture, plants, I have, from the beginning, been most interested in capturing the human form.

Taylor, c.2010, digital portrait
I will admit that my initial flirtation with portraiture with my film SLR camera did not yield the results I was hoping for, though I did use some of those photos as the basis of work in other media.  The process of using my photographs to inform my work in painting, drawing and printing is something that has continued to this day.
Shield 2, chalk pastel, c.2005


In university I began taking photos with a digital camera. It was just a Nikon Coolpics point and shoot but I found ways to trick the sensors for the automatic flash using electrical tape and just about every lamp in my studio apartment to create the type of lighting effects I was going for. At first I did a lot of self-portraiture, but after joining a photo-based community on Live Journal I eventually began doing portrait sessions for friends.  Of course I have updated by arsenal to include a digital SLR camera, backdrop stand and some updated lighting. For a few years I did portraits and some commercial work on the side, although these days it is definitely more of a hobby.

Emilie, c.2009, digital portrait

Although balancing work, university and family has cut into the time I have to take photos, I still lug my camera with me often.  I take time to do head shots of the students on our Arts & Drama team every year and of course my son has become the frequent focus of my lens!


 
Luca, c. 2009


Luca, c. 2013
I am looking forward to getting back into the darkroom 
and revisiting film techniques!

Luca & I, c.2009

No comments:

Post a Comment