Saturday, January 25, 2014

Assignment 1 Reflection: “The shadows that things make, the things that shadows make” Les Rudnick (2011)


 


“Photograms for many artists are constructions based on realistic imagery. I prefer the abstract nature of the image shadow based on partial transparency, translucency, and the presence and absence of material such as lace or mesh.” (Les Rudnick, (2011). The Photogram – A History. Photograms, Art and Design.  Retrieved from: http://www.photograms.org/chapter01.html )


Blown Away - Photogram, 2014
After revisiting photograms this week, I have come to relate very much to the quote above from photographer Les Rudnick. You see, traditionally, I explore a lot of narrative in my own work. I like to concoct all matter of fanciful tales to fuel the making of images.  I tried to apply the same type of thinking to my photograms; but at the end of the day the results of my process fell short of my imagination.  Initially I approached the photogram too literally, like an illustration from a book rather than an experiment with light and shadow.


Cutting Edge - Photogram c. 2000




When I was in high school I was lucky enough to be able to take a photography class. We started with photograms and I loved the results. When I try and consider what was different then, compared to now, I realize that I was engaged more with the experimentation of it all. What would objects look like after exposed? What kinds of patterns and intersections of objects would be pleasing to the eye?  I was not trying to tell a story or to engage with a complex issue, I was experimenting with light and shadow, and at the end of the day I feel like the results were more pleasing. 

So, after reflecting on that, I returned to the darkroom with a renewed sense of experimentation.  I tried to focus on working with refracted light to create shadows balanced with opaque forms of solid objects. I found that this approach was much more rewarding, and in the end, the images are actually more thought provoking and complex than the more illustrative ones from my initial return to the dark room. I tried some multiple exposure photograms but found that my objects shifted too much for me to enjoy the results.  I may try doing a few more of those in the future though because the process intrigues me. 


Cardinal Points, Photogram, 2014
Something else that I have re-discovered is how much I enjoy the results of my test strips.  I find something about the long, narrow format coupled with the cut off and intersecting objects to be terribly interesting.  Perhaps the idea that I am able to imagine what happens off the edges of the paper speaks to my love of narrative, but I really enjoy the images that do not include the entirety of the forms used to create the images.

Test strips


Pedagogically, I think photograms are an excellent project to start off with in a photography class because they allow students to become familiar with the basics of the darkroom; its parts and processes, without the added steps of working with negatives, and everything that comes with that.  It is a great way to have students think about positive and negative space,  and to begin to think in terms of how light works in relation to the processes of photography and darkroom developing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment